I love brunch! There is just something so yummy about brunch. You get the best of both worlds – the savory and the sweet, the lunch and the breakfast. It may be the perfect meal. The springtime is a wonderful time to host a brunch as everyone is coming out of winter hibernation ready to socialize again. A great start to a beautiful Sunday. The food can be as simple or as elaborate as you like. Juice, Mimosas, Coffee, some breakfast pastries, fresh fruit and an egg dish or a quiche is really all you need. I personally have a small obsession with baked french toast. It is so easy to make and always delicious. Here is a great recipe to try one out.
RECIPE: Lemon Raspberry French Toast Strata
Adapted from Epicurious
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- A loaf of unsliced country style bread, a day old and cut in 1″ cubes
- 1 pint Raspberries
- 6 Eggs
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 1 tsp grated Orange Zest
- 1 tbs Grand Marnier or 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13″ glass baking dish. Pour in maple syrup. Evenly distribute bread cubes and raspberries on top.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, orange zest, Grand Marnier or vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Pour over bread and raspberries.
- Bake in the oven about 45 minutes, until it is puffed and golden.
- Cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup or raspberry syrup.
This dish is equally good with blueberries instead of raspberries.
To read more recipes and entertaining tips from Zareen, visit her blog Cooking with Z.