Since most of us are still attempting (*ahem*) to keep up with the healthy New Years Resolutions, I thought I’d share one of my favorite healthy breakfast/snack/dessert recipes. It was passed along to me a few years ago, from a clipping in the Daily Local News. The recipe is filling with a great nutritional backing. I make this often, and the whole family grabs a slice (or a muffin, if I choose to do muffins instead of the 2 loaves of bread) for breakfast (which is why it is dubbed “Breakfast Bread” in my house). Also a great on-the-go snack or healthy dessert option.
I have no qualms with my kids eating this for breakfast, knowing it’s chock full of goodness. And it really does keep us going all morning until lunch.
Make this – and your kids will love you for it!
(aka “Breakfast Bread”)
- 15-oz can pumpkin or squash puree
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour (I used regular organic whole-wheat flour)
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 3/4 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice blend (or 3/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp allspice)
- (Steph’s Extras: I added some wheat germ and extra cinnamon for extra flavor and nutrients)