My friend Jeannine passed this recipe on to me a few years ago. I love that it is light, healthy and full of flavor. Something about Spring makes me want to eat fresh, tasty things. Grilling the chicken (instead of boiling) would infuse awesome flavor. And how much do you love sneaking fruit into your kids meals in such a fun way?
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 TBSP cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 mangos, skinned and coarsly chopped
- 4 oz. canned diced jalapenos
- 8 oz. colby jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cans black beans, drained and lightly rinsed
- sour cream
- taco sauce or salsa
2. In a large skillet, cook the chopped onion in hot oil until tender. Add beans, canned chili peppers, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Cook for several minutes and mash with a potato masher or back of wooden spoon. Add parsley and stir. Let simmer until thick (approx. 5 minutes).
3. Remove tortillas from packaging and microwave for 30 seconds or so to warm them a bit and make them easier to roll
4. Spray a 9×13 inch pan (or one size larger) with cooking spray. Spread chicken, black beans, cheese, and mango in middle of a tortilla and roll up. Use toothpicks if necessary to hold them together. Line them up in the pan, and sprinkle more cheese on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with salsa or taco sauce and sour cream.