Now that schools are back in session if you will, “PennDOT reminds drivers to remain vigilant and follow school bus laws as students and school buses return to the roadways.”
School bus safety is a high priority in Pennsylvania. Students, parents, teachers, administrators, transportation personnel and the motoring public all play important roles in keeping our children safe while on or around the school bus.
Pennsylvania’s School Bus Stopping Law
- Motorists must stop at least 10 feet away from school buses that have their red lights flashing and stop arm extended.
- Motorists must stop when they are behind a bus, meeting the bus or approaching an intersection where a bus is stopped.
- Motorists following or traveling alongside a school bus must also stop until the red lights have stopped flashing, the stop arm is withdrawn, and all children have reached safety.
- If physical barriers such as grassy medians, guide rails or concrete median barriers separate oncoming traffic from the bus, motorists in the opposing lanes may proceed without stopping.
- Do not proceed until all the children have reached a place of safety.
- The penalties if convicted of violating Pennsylvania´s School Bus Stopping Law include:
- $250 fine
- Five points on your driving record
- 60-day license suspension
For more information, review Pennsylvania´s School Bus Stopping Law Fact Sheet.
Tips for Parents/Students:
- Get to the school bus stop five minutes early, so you won’t have to run across the road to catch the bus.
- When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic. Line up at least five giant steps away from the curb or the roadway to wait for the bus.
- Never run after the school bus if it has already left the bus stop.
- Never push when getting on or off of the school bus.
- Always walk at least 10 feet in front of the bus when crossing so that the school bus driver can see you.
- Be aware – Cross with Care! Wait until the school bus has stopped all traffic before stepping out onto the road.
For more Tips for Parents/Students, click here.
Tips for Bus Drivers:
- Always do a pre-trip inspection prior to every run to check for mechanical defects that could jeopardize safety.
- Be reliable and dependable – Your students count on you every day!
- Establish a positive relationship with your students. You are the first authority figure they encounter, and you set the tone for the day.
- Pennsylvania law prohibits children from standing on the bus while the bus is in motion.
- Check to make sure all of the children unloading from the bus are at a place of safety before deactivating your 8–way light system and moving the school bus.
For more Tips for Bus Drivers, click here.
For more information and fun facts and activities, please go to PA’s Safe Driving Resource, Just Drive web site.